Thursday 24 October 2013

Practise in Illustrator


I selected one of my photographs and initially imported it into Illustrator so I could use the 'trace image' tool. Unfortunately, this did not work too well so I imported the original image into Photoshop and adjusted the brightness/contrast, airbrushed and lightened some of the image. I also erased the background and hair. Subsequently, I imported the adjusted image into Illustrator and drew over the main features using the pen tool and refining the brush stroke. Adjacent shows my final image.  Additionally, I began to add some text just to see what the image would look like with text. I am happy with the outcome, but I may practice again with drawing on the face just to see if there is other ways of doing it.

I have selected the final words I will use for my project. I decided to use only five words from each article, so every magazine has ten words each. Fifteen words from each article would have been too many and the user may not have been able to decipher all the words.The words are in order of the most frequently used.

Company: eye, brown, new, light, look, shadow, lips, natural, happily, colour

Cosmopolitan: new, foundation, beauty, coverage, skin, perfect, Benefit, gorgeous, powder, formulas

Elle: complexion, wants, beauty, tan, new, make-up, looking, BareMinerals, Clinique, Estee Lauder

Look: hair, new, Burberry, launching, beauty,  Armani, skin, metallic, Grunge, time

It is interesting to notice the consistent use of the adjective 'new' throughout every article in each magazine. There is an urgency for each magazine to be up to date and contemporary to appeal to the female readers. It demonstrates how quickly one trivial beauty product is forgotten and the rush to find the next best thing. It also reflects the nature of contemporary consumer society and its need to always have something new; either with technology, clothing or something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment